Friday, September 21, 2012

Context is King

Sigh, I just got a nasty sounding request from Google Adsense to take down the offensive content on a blog post entitled "That Little Faggot's Got His Own Jet Airplane"

There's a screen shot about the post below.  For the record, as I clearly state in the original post, I'm quoting from the song "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits, mentioning a new items about a decades old song being censored and make sure I'm clear to define myself as against homophobia.  Some of my best friends are gay and some of my family members are gay and I love them all dearly.  Further in the post, I walk through all the other potentially offensive terms in the song, yes, poking fun at the situation.




Here's the email from Google AdSense telling me to remove the offensive content or else . . .

The most frustrating thing about this is that there is no indication that a human actually read this to find it offensive, and no way for me to explain that I'm using a derogatory term quoted from a song lyric in order to discuss the concept of censorship.

It's all about the CONTEXT, people.  Context is king.

For the record, I'm not changing that blog post. I like what I have written and I stand behind it.

I'm also not changing this one either.

Too bad for me.

No comments: