Thursday, March 01, 2012

Bookstore Quote Fairy

I have long been following a delightfully refreshing blog that is covering all of the trials, tribulations and gritty details that a Hamilton couple are experiencing renovating and building their downtown Hamilton bookstore: J. H. Gordon Books.

Julie, the main blogger of Reno Challenge 2012, has been posting interesting tidbits about their experience.

Her profile description which begins: "I am a writer, bookblogger, and soon-to-be bookseller. I live in Hamilton, Ontario and I freaking love this town!" really caught my eye. 

I mean, what better way could you show that you love a town than to give it a bookstore? Hamilton is rich with some great bookstores already. But this one will be in a downtown neighbourhood that doesn't have their own local "go to" cultural meeting place that a bookstore offers. So it makes my city that much richer.

Photo from  Reno Challenge 2012
What caught my eye today is that it seems someone in the neighbourhood who wants to show their appreciation for the forthcoming shop has printed up and taped 15 literary and book quotes onto their front window. This appears on the post entitled:  Day 175: quote fairy.

Photo from  Reno Challenge 2012


One of the quotes spotlit is from Jerry Seinfeld and reads:  "A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking."

I'm curious to know what the other quotes are.

More than that, I'm curious about the act of doing this itself. And I'm tempted to pick one of my own favourite quotes (Cicero's "A room without books is like a body without a soul.") and post it. Or ask bookish fans if this type of activity might be a fun thing to do at your own local favourite neighbourhood bookstore.  You know - stick up some supportive book loving quotes, take a picture or make a video of it, and record the whole thing.

It would be a fun way to show your support and love of books and bookstores.

In her blog post Julie calls up one of her favourite book quotes, from Neil Gaiman's American Gods: 

"What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul."

Fitting quote.

What's your favourite bookish or literary quote?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks for mentioning J.H. Gordon Books in your blog, and for your very kind words.

I can't remember all the quotes left by my fairy, but one particularly funny Groucho Marx quote comes to mind:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."