Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reading Challenge 2012

I've been using Goodreads for a while now and am delighted with the fact that Goodreads reviews are now linked to the book listings on Kobo -- so when you're looking at a book on an item page at Kobo, you're able to see the latest reviews posted on Goodreads.

Because of this, I was touring around making sure my own books were listed on Goodreads, when I found this cool widget/experience.

The Reading Challenge 2012

Since I've been entering books I've read on Goodreads, I can allow this to auto track to see how I'm doing with my goal of reading 52 books in 2012 - the equivalent of a book a week.  (For this slow reader, that would be an amazing accomplishment -- of course, given how much more time I spend commuting in to work, I'm taking full advantage and listening to audio books, so that helps pad the odds in my favour)

I know these stats won't last, but so far 110,094 people are participating, for a total of 6,819,879 books pledged to read. The average number of books in a person's challenge are 61 and so far 35 of the challenges are completed (likely by folks who either set ridiculously low goals or who added books to their library (from past reads) and didn't notice it was setting the "date read" to that day's date.

The book nerd in me LOVES these stats - people not only reading, but celebrating reading. Gosh, it's enough to put a big stupid grin on my face. 

There are awesome widgets for this too . . .

I like the basic one that shows where you are percentage-wise . . .

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Mark has read 5 books toward his goal of 52 books.
hide

But there are other cool ones too . . . like this one that is an RSS feed of the latest updates you make on Goodreads . . .





Love it!



No comments: