Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Gotta Nice Little Story You're Working On There?

I motored through several thousand words on A CANADIAN WEREWOLF IN NEW YORK this morning.  As I approach the final section of the novel, with my first draft deadline of July 31st looming, I had to pause to consider just how long this process has taken me.

And there's no hiding from the reality of JUST HOW LONG this has been, since the whole process has been documented on The Writing Show Podcast from the very first days back in . . . sigh . . . 2006 when I decided to turn a 10,000 word story into a novel and let Writing Show listeners behind the scenes on all the ugly details involved in the process.  (You can listen to the entire "epic" of distractions, excuses and other lame reasons for my delays in The Writing Show podcast archives.)

The truth is it has taken me a long time. The truth is, I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to finishing the novel. Last night Francine had some stern words for me about this project. They were much kinder that the mocking words Stewie has for Brian in this hilarious clip from Family Guy . . .



. . . but the point was clear:  Buckle down and get it done!

So I buckled down. Got up just after 5 AM this morning and by 7 PM I close to three thousand words spewed out.  I've left off at a good point where I can easily continue working tomorrow at 5 AM.

Fran has always been a great inspiration.

Whoops, I'm sure she'll catch the fact that I'm blogging and NOT WRITING right now. Yikes! Better get back to the novel . . .

2 comments:

lecram said...

Mark, I'm in the dame boat. Working on a piece for a Grand Guignol show I'm doing in October. Perhaps we could prod each other along. :)

- said...

You can do it!!