Friday, September 04, 2009

Da Count - Playing Games Is Fun

Okay, perhaps I've counted this before, but it's so important to me that it bears repeating.

I love my job. I love working. I think work is fun and I'm delighted to be fortunate enough to have the job and the career that I do.

This week that's what I'm counting.

I mean, I spend MOST of my time, most of my life working, I should take the time to regularly count the fact that I'm so lucky to enjoy it so much.

And I'm always delighted to learn that I'm not the only one.

And so rather than use my own words, this time I'll use the words of Chris Brogan and Julien Smith, authors of the new book TRUST AGENTS - Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust.

I first discovered Chris and Julien in Mitch Joel's Media Hacks or Six Pixels of Separation podcast -- always insightful, always entertaining. Then I heard them speaking about their forthcoming book on the Book Expo America podcast. That made me want to read this book as soon as it came out. I started it this week.

"Playing Games Is Fun. Okay, business is business and work is work. But truly, if you don't accept this detail, that games are meant to be fun, you're probably reading the wrong book. Try Jim Collins's Good to Great instead. Excellent book. The rest of us, let's agree that if we can figure out a way that work can be fun, it just goes better for everyone involved. In learning how to be trust agents, we spend most of our time looking for ways to do business and make it fun. Why? Well, why would you want to do the opposite? That doesn't mean we don't like hard work. We love hard work. But finding a way to make it fun? That's the gold."
- From page 46 of TRUST AGENTS by Chris Brogan & Julien Smith


I couldn't have said it better myself. Okay, I like to believe that I could say it better, particularly since this is something I regularly say.

But dammit, these guys said it really well, don't you think?


dacount

1 comment:

lecram said...

It certainly bears repeating. Yeah, it does make life so much richer when one enjoys what earns the bread. Cheers on a great count!