Saturday, May 24, 2008

Well I Didn't Vote For You!

I didn't make it to the next round on AM900 CHML's Talk Show Idol. I lost in what was very likely a tight race to the lovely Karen Johnson of Hamilton. Karen moves on to the semi-finalist round on Friday June 6th.

I did listen to Karen's segment from last week and have to say that she was a natural -- she was very comfortable behind the mike and engaged her guest in a stimulating conversation about the local Hamilton music scene. I also quite admire her passion for supporting the local arts community -- Hamilton is indeed lucky to have such a dynamic arts, music and culture scene and deserves the chance to be spot-lighted regularly. I know I'll be throwing my own support behind Karen as she continues on in this competition.

I would like to thank everyone for their votes and support. It was a fun thing to try out. The title of this blog post, which I simply couldn't resist is a reference to that classic scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's the scene where King Arthur encounters the peasants in the mud and filth. After getting infuriated with Arthur, the old lady wonders how he could have become King when she didn't vote for him. Classic.

Of course, I know that a lot of people took the time to register on CHML and vote for me (despite the wonky web glitches pretending people from getting through) -- I also know that a lot of people listened and offered support and encouragement. So I applaud and thank those people who persisted in registering their vote.

I think the effort should be seen as symbolic, since we are fortunate enough to live in a free society, and registering your vote at any level (municipal, provincial, federal), making your voice heard is an important, nah, crucial aspect of our democracy. Voting for important things is relatively easy, and we're privileged to be able to give our opinions voice. (Whoops, okay, I'll get off my soap-box - don't worry, when it's election time again I'll get right back up on it)

My fellow contestants in week 5 of Talk Show Idol were great people and I know we all had a lot of fun. Hey, the very fact that we got out there, stuck our faces in front of live microphones means we gave it a try and though 3 of us didn't make it to the next round we all had a great opportunity, a fantastic experience.

And the folks at CHML were incredible to work with -- having a chance to be in the studio live on air and being trusted to fill 10 minutes of air time; well, it's quite the thrill and reminded me of being on stage. I'm delighted to have had the chance to give it a shot and also eager to support Karen as she advances to the next round.

No comments: