Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Commuter Challenge

This week, I'm taking the Commuter Challenge -- which is a national program that aims to increase the awareness of the benefits of sustainable commuting and to encourage Canadians to take action by walking, cycling, taking transit, carpooling or tele-working instead of driving alone to get work.

And while I'm only two days into the challenge, I'm quite enjoying it -- yes, despite the massive downpour of rain that occurred during this morning's commute. I have to admit, it's really tempting to just take my 10-15 minute drive in to McMaster from home; but the two bus transfer from my home to campus isn't all that bad. I left my house at 6:45 and was at work by 7:25. Normally, I leave home at about 7:00 and am at work by 7:30. (Not that much of a difference. Of course, the reason the drive takes me so long is that I park on the farthest spot on campus, so there's a healthy walk across campus that I quite enjoy)

All in all, it's a good challenge and one that I'm enjoying. I'm certainly enjoying using the bus time to read. And the best thing about this is that it's showing me that the better way can also be better for me too.

No comments: