Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Spam Spim

Okay, I'll admit it, I sometimes give a quick read through of the loads of junk in my spam folder. Not just because sometimes there actually is a message there that automatically got shuffled into that folder by mistake, but because sometimes there are real gems.

Take the opening line of this recent spam that was supposedly from PayPal:


Dear Costumer,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your account from a foreign IP address. [yadda yadda yaddda, click on THIS bogus link and tell us your credit card info, all banking details, all of your secret logins in the universe and we'll make sure we fix this security hole.]


"Costumer" - that's priceless. I almost bought it too, because I do have a background in theatre. But the "tell" in this one, for me, was that they called me Costumer rather than Lighting Designer.

Whew. Almost got sucked into that one and revealed all my passwords and other personal secrets.

3 comments:

Melodie Norman Haas said...

I have had that same one sent to me before and they have actually gotten better because I almost mindlessly clicked on the latest one. What a pain that we have to be so cautious these days about everything.

lime said...

LOL, clearly they can't even work spell check

Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

I received the same one, but I learned long ago to send them all to "spoof". Seems that this time they spoofed themselves!